[kwlug-disc] Modern Open Source WiFi Routers

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Sun Apr 25 22:45:28 EDT 2010

Thanks for posting this Khalid.

I see at the bottom a reference to the D-Link DIR-825,
http://www.dlink.ca/products/?pid=681. "DIR-825 Xtreme N Dual Band
Gigabit Router"

At a very quick glance, seems reasonable. Has a USB port on the back,
it looks like. What am I missing?

<<<<<
DLink DIR-825 rev B (Score:3, Informative)
by Eric Smith (4379) writes: <eric@@@brouhaha...com> on Sunday April
25, @01:10AM (#31971708) Homepage Journal
Although not marketed for open-source use the way the Linksys WRT54GL
was, the DLink DIR-825 rev B seems like a great choice. It is
supported by many of the third-party firmware distributions (I use
OpenWRT), has an Atheros MIPS-based CPU that runs at 680 MHz,
simultaneous dual-band Atheros WiFi which has good open source support
(no binary blob driver needed), detachable antennas, gigabit ethernet,
and isn't too expensive.

Much though it pains me (as a former Ubicom employee) to say it, I
would recommend avoiding the earlier DIR-825 rev A which uses a Ubicom
processor. Although Ubicom now offers some kind of Linux SDK, as far
as I know there is currently no third-party firmware that will run on
the DIR-825 rev A. The hardware revision is on the label of the
package, and also the rev A and rev B look somewhat different, so if
you buy a DIR-825 at retail you can easily ensure that you get the rev
B. I suspect that most of the major online retailers probably have
exhausted their inventory of rev A by now.