[kwlug-disc] YAK Internet + Home Phone deal for Kitchener

Kyle Spaans 3lucid at gmail.com
Sun Apr 25 20:10:52 EDT 2010

On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 7:45 PM, Colin Mackay <zixiekat at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 6:47 PM, Khalid Baheyeldin <kb at 2bits.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 6:17 PM, Colin Mackay <zixiekat at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Here is my speed test:
>>>
>>> http://www.speedtest.net/result/794189427.png
>>>
>>> It's sitting at about 4.3Mbps, which is no more than I got with Bell.
>>> Downloading hits 550kB/sec.
>>
>> That is kind of slow. About half the speed of Rogers.
>
> It's 5Mbit.  I couldn't get the 10Mbit.  They may upgrade the C/O my
> DSLAM is in in the future, which will allow me to go to 10Mbps.

Hmm, I would suspect that you can still be throttled in that case. I talked to
a local guy who does server colo and business internet services and he said
that unless you're hooked up to the non-Bell DSLAM in the CO or Remote
Office then that's where Bell is going to throttle you.

I'm not saying you're lying about not noticing any throttling :), but please
keep and eye out and let us know -- I'm very curious.

>> Here is mine:
>>
>> http://www.speedtest.net/result/794206388.png
>>
>> I get 1 MB/sec regularly.

Hmm, Rogers' ping is better too. I (hoped) would have thought that theirs
would be worse than the DSL, but maybe I'm thinking about something I
read about Teksavvy having better peering than Rogers, which might not
be the case for Yak.