[kwlug-disc] setting up a new VM under ubuntu server 10.04 LTS

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Tue Apr 20 13:08:36 EDT 2010

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 09:20, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:
>  so, i follow the instructions and run "vmbuilder" with the
> appropriate args *but* i completely skip the network configuration
> part since i want to test what happens if i ignore that part entirely.

>  what i would *like* to do is leave wlan0 running, of course, but
> simply add whatever netconfig i need to have net connectivity between
> the host and the guest -- i don't want to get into bridged networking
> yet.

The 192.168.122.0 network is by default configured for host<->guest
connectivity. You probably won't be able to bridge with a wireless
interface anyway. You will be able to do NAT if you like. I can not
recall if the default network is NAT by default, or purely internal.

>  as you can see, the "virbr0" interface on the host appears to have
> been configured correctly as a node on the internal 192.168.122.X
> network.  but to connect to the newly-running guest, that guest also
> must (naturally) be on that same network.  i've done nothing to mess
> with the host's /etc/network/interfaces file, so what would i need to
> do to that file in order to have host wireless continue to run, while
> allowing the newly-started guest to pick up an internal IP address so
> that i can do host->guest SSH?

You shouldn't have to do anything special network-wise. You likely
don't have a network interface on the guest. You'll have to use virsh
and the "attach-interface" command. `virsh help attach-interface` will
give you a bit on useage. I'm not sure if that is hot-pluggable of if
you need to restart the VM.

I've unfortunately been extremely busy this week with an office move,
taxes, and other things. I hopefully will get around to crossing a few
things off my todo list on wednesday:

- Posting my slides
- Updating to Ubuntu's Lucid
- Create a VM with vmbuilder and no network to see how to manually add
an interface.

On the flip-side, if you have X11, you can use virt-manager, which is
the GUI front-end to libvirt (virsh is the CLI front-end).

--
Chris Irwin
<chris at chrisirwin.ca>