[kwlug-disc] Newbie... Playing with Linux etc...

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Mon Apr 12 23:41:49 EDT 2010

Terrence Enger wrote, On 04/12/2010 7:05 PM:
> On Mon, 2010-04-12 at 12:41 -0400, Richard Weait wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 12:18 PM, Michael Savage <msavageca at yahoo.ca> wrote:
>>> Well what would you suggest then? I was looking at what's happenig in the world of the web, and it seems to be mostly MySQL. I a gree this might not be the best solution.
>>>
>>> I've played with Postgres in Windows and had a little success with it, in transalting my old app into this platform, however I never did get the time to devote to it.
>> I suggest you ignore any non-specific guidance based on non-specific
>> questions.  Terence is likely making a "joke".
>
> Not making a joke exacly, just trying to undermine the notion that mySql
> is the *automatice* choice.

In this case it is, and is the only reasonable choice.

Most every install will have mysql. So in the theme of just getting
one's feet wet, don't add to the complexity, yet. As Raul has already
pointed out.

When you need more or different than mysql, if will probably be pretty
self-evident. And by then you will have traversed a whole host of
other learning curves, and the drinking from a fire hose phenomena
will have diminished somewhat.

As John points out, if you abstract the calls, you'll largely be gold.
I'm not entirely certain that's necessary for the sql calls (I would
have hoped sql is sql, but obviously I'm not speaking from experience,
so my opinion is worth zilch.)

Can anyone suggest to Mike, here, a sample project that has such
abstractions? Perhaps it can serve as a useful example.