[kwlug-disc] Job offer: J2EE Software Development Manager

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Thu Mar 12 17:30:19 EDT 2009

Oksana Goertzen wrote, On 03/12/2009 3:40 PM:
> On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 4:26 PM, Chris Irwin <chris at chrisirwin.ca
> <mailto:chris at chrisirwin.ca>> wrote:
>     On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 09:42, Robert P. J. Day
>     <rpjday at crashcourse.ca <mailto:rpjday at crashcourse.ca>> wrote:
>      >  just to be clear, i think it's great if a local person lands a
>      > linux job.
.
.
.

L.D. Paniak wrote, On 03/12/2009 3:59 PM:
 > Too many questions.  Not important to the functioning on the LUG =>
 > avoid them.

Oksana and Lori put it well.

I have said before that there is little awareness (content?) in this
list with respect to who in K-W uses Linux. Particularly businesses,
groups, charities, etc. I would welcome more "Hey, we use Linux too!"
messages from such in this list. Messages passed along from job
hunters, given their current low level, are welcome.

As has been essentially pointed out, technically, the 'LUG' part of
'K-W LUG' is well represented. I don't think the same is true for the
'K-W' part. Not, for the most part, because it's unwelcome, but
because they're just not participating. (I've yet to figure out how to
reach out to them, mostly because I've yet to figure out how to
identify them.) Job notices are part of the community.

If messages are inappropriate, the list moderators can delete them.

I am reminded from the Asterisk thread just how low-key John keeps
NetDirect. His technical posts are from 'John'. His offers of help are
from 'John' - I had to remember behind that offer of help from 'John'
was 'NetDirect'. It's the first time I can remember thinking that.
i.e. I know NetDirect is out there, I seldom remember in just what
ways /services. For the Asterisk thread I finally thought to go over
to the NetDirect site and look.

	In this case of 'John' and 'NetDirect', I think a slightly more
blatant "We're here if you're interested / we do that." presence would
not only be appropriate, it would be welcome. He has demonstrated,
repeatedly, a sensitivity to hobbyist, low income, or do-it-myself
posters, and responded with personal assistance on that level. Not
with "Let's do a deal and I'll tell you."

	'John', and 'NetDirect' are significant contributors both to the
'LUG' and to 'K-W'. Witness OnLinux. Being judiciously reminded that
NetDirect is in our 'K-W' 'community', I welcome. As I do job
postings. Both reflect the presence, or lack of, Linux in our 'K-W'
LUG community.

I would welcome so much list presence that a "K-W Marketplace", "K-W
Linux Community", or "K-W Linux Environment" spin-off list would be up
for serious consideration. But we're not there yet.