[kwlug-disc] PC/hardware question

Cedric Puddy cedric at thinkers.org
Wed Mar 4 10:24:36 EST 2009

NX is actually working now?

I've tried it seriously about 3-4 times (~2005, 2006, 2007
timeframes), and while I *really* like the architecture (it is a
seriously excellent design to my eye), the @#^@#$%^@$#%%@!$%@ thing
just didn't work.

I tried the commercial edition on Solaris, with support from them, and
didn't work worth a darn.

I tried FreeNX under Gentoo, twice, a couple years apart, didn't work.

I tired NX on CentOS for a client, and didn't work.

When I say didn't work:

	1) Session starts up would/wouldn't work randomly.  I'd log in the
first time, and it would come up like a dream (you know, like one were
you are zipping along in your F-16 on afterburner -- NX is *fast*.),
and that would be great.  Later, you go to start a session, and it
doesn't work.  Nothing in the logs, no network connectivity troubles,
etc.  Just doesn't start the session, and client sits there bouncing
back and forth, and then timing out.

	2) Session disconnects, and you can't reconnect for love nor money.
The only way to get back in is to kill the session entirely and hope
that you can log in again (see point 1).

	3) On Solaris, keyboard mapping issues galore.

So, basicly, I'd be really happy to know that it's worth another shot
-- as far as I can tell, compared to standard X or VNC-Server it's
just out of this world in performance and security.

Any key tips you found to making for a successful install that the
README doesn't cover??

	-Cedric