[kwlug-disc] Mac OS and Linux

Kyle Spaans 3lucid at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 15:27:22 EDT 2009

I run both Linux and Mac OS X 10.4 on my old (PowerPC) Powerbook G4.

Linux works OOTB, but doesn't support the wireless as well as OS X. For
example, there are some WPA2 and even WEP networks that I can't
connect to from Linux, which are fine from OS X. The battery life isn't as
good, and the fan-control algorithm is kind of funny. It tends to go from
not-on to full-on (quite loud for this little thing!), whereas it's more left at
a more moderate level in OS X.

Admittedly, this isn't an Intel Mac, and this is from Debian 4.0, running
2.6.18 or so, and me not spending much time looking into tweaking it. :)