[kwlug-disc] IPCop (and friends) vs hardware router

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Thu Jun 18 21:12:43 EDT 2009

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 10:14:10AM -0400, unsolicited wrote:
> Paul Nijjar wrote, On 06/18/2009 3:24 AM:
>> On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 02:19:08AM -0400, unsolicited wrote:
>

> One friend got shut down by Rogers at one point. We (I) called Rogers
> (which is when we found out Rogers was the culprit since my hunting for
> the problem internally appeared fruitless). Although we did the standard
> Rogers support loop the loop until we got to the right department
> (eCare?), we were able to request the logs, for next time, by supplying
> an e-mail address. 'Unfortunately' it never happened again, so there were
> no logs to receive.

So you only get logs when there is an issue?

We get log snippets when we are threatened, but those snippets are not
that useful.

> You might just try blocking 0/7. Rogers may not be too smart in terms of
> why they're calling some things bad (explanatory wise) - they run their
> stuff, come up with 'bad', and voila. And all they can tell you is 'bad'
> - nothing more specific to help you get a handle on what the heck they're
> talking about. So don't take them literally, try and figure out the
> nature of the behaviour they're talking about.

The most they are telling us is that we have IRC bots, and that they
always seem to connect to a certain port. So my inclination is to
block all and any traffic on that port, which IPCop could not do
easily. Hence my cry for help.

- Paul