[kwlug-disc] why am i getting "Content Encoding Error" using firefox?

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Mon Jan 12 09:51:17 EST 2009

On Mon, 2009-01-12 at 05:56 -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> trying to view:
>
> http://www.bitshrine.org/gpp_info/asterisk-1.4.21.1.tar.gz.html
>
> using IE under windows, it works fine.  trying the same thing thru
> firefox gives me:
>
> =========
> Content Encoding Error
>   thoughts?

Dear Rob,

That page is a mess.  The html is horrible, like, what 1995?  I grabbed
it with wget and it is included in its entirety below.  Not worth the
effort.

The bitshrine link is broken in the following ways.  It claims to be
html, but is not.  It is a short text file with a couple of tags.  It
claims to be a tar archive but is not.  It claims to be gz compressed
but is not.  It claims to be the asterisk code, but is not.

With so many technical failings in one link, I can't imagine using the
code they provide.  Fortunately, we see that this link doesn't even
provide anything unique.  It just duplicates the Asterisk download at
Digium.  And it points to itself and to the original in a completely
incompetent manner.

Grade: F

Best regards,
Richard

<pre>

Date          : Fri Aug  1 13:55:22 2008
Name          : Stuart Hughes
Email         : seh ( at) zee2 . c om
Filename      : asterisk-1.4.21.1.tar.gz
License       : GPL
Distributable : yes
Save to       : asterisk-1.4.21.1.tar.gz
Size          : 11528154
MD5 sum       : dfa1b73587aa74b36caaf4811cfe610e
Description   :

This is the source for asterisk, an open source telephony engine and tool kit

This work is unmodified and available here:
http://downloads.digium.com/pub/asterisk/releases/asterisk-1.4.21.1.tar.gz

</pre>
--- <br>

---+ History <br>

| *Date*     |  *Who*          | *Comment*         |
| 20080801  | Stuart Hughes           | Initial upload    |