[kwlug-disc] Generating and using PGP keys

Cedric Puddy cedric at thinkers.org
Fri Feb 20 16:48:40 EST 2009

As far as I can tell, the grand Web Of Trust visions that some people
had, especially when the technology was  just being developed have
largely failed to pass.  The vast number of punters who have only very
basic purposes and interests in the software quite reasonably say
"Damn, that's a lot more investment than I'm prepared to put in." when
confronted with the full scope of Key Signing and Trust Done Right.

I think Chris and Adam touch on a key point -- the degree to which it
matters what that signature means depends very much on context and
purpose.  The result it that most people only care to a very minimal
degree about those things, and within certain verticals, it matters a
great deal (Boeing, for example, makes extensive use of PGP, and cares
very much indeed about key serial numbers, verification of facts, etc.)

I, on the other hand use signing as an easy way of ensuring that I can
tell if my emails have been re-written, and I could, theoretically,
prove that I said such-and-such a thing on a given day by proving that
I had the key at that time, if such a circumstance ever developed --
like the developers of PGP, and their focus on the web of trust, they
were thinking more of what *might* happen, as opposed to what is
*likely* to happen :)

-Cedric