[kwlug-disc] kwlug on twitter?

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Tue Dec 22 19:44:37 EST 2009

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 06:57:39PM -0500, Bob Jonkman wrote:
> I recommend to people that even if they don't intend to use these
> services, they should acquire their name and establish an identity
> anyway.  Better to have your own ID than to have someone else acquire
> it, and possibly use it for identity fraud purposes.  If you've already
> established your own ID it's more difficult for someone else to spoof
> you.  Witness "Fake Steve Jobs" on Twitter, and Australian censorship
> minister Stephen Conroy on stephenconroy.com.au

Perhaps this is good advice, but it is also akin to recommending that
everyone register all forms of their domain names "just in case."
Registering all of the following only benefits the registrars:

	chrisfrey.com
	chrisfrey.net
	chrisfrey.org
	chrisfrey.ca
	chrisfrey.on.ca
	christopherfrey.com
	christopherfrey.net
	christopherfrey.org
	christopherfrey.ca
	chris..... aaaaaarghhhhhh!

It quickly gets out of hand, and I haven't even completed the Domain Name
System yet. :-)  I can't keep up with every new web 2.0 site out there
that wants a login.

There are so many Chris Frey's out there, you can never be sure it's me
or not.  And twitter's cdfrey isn't even named "Chris." :-)  (It's not me.)

I think it is better to include your contact info in a bundle, so that
if people see one, they see them all.  Ideally, a single website
that people can visit to see all your official contact info.  An email
signature can point to this fairly effectively.

- Chris