[kwlug-disc] Desktop linux for Gramps

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Thu Dec 3 19:31:09 EST 2009

On Thu, Dec 03, 2009 at 01:39:40PM -0500, unsolicited wrote:

> Glenn, you have written a number of times about your problems with
> Mandriva, which seem to mostly surround availability, end of life, less
> (free) support than for other distros, cost, and other things. Don't
> perpetuate and extend your aggravation. "Come to the light!"

I totally disagree with unsolicited on this point. You will be the tech
support for your parents. Therefore you should give them what you know
and understand.

Other than that I would second most people's recommendations
(including unsolicited's advice in the rest of his e-mail). We have
a setup (which I have talked about before) of a server and two
desktops, and even though the users are not that computer literate
they are able to use the computers without too many problems. However,
they have a "support contract" -- namely, the IT staff. So when
hiccups happen, we can fix them.

For that reason I would second the recommendations to enable (secure)
remote access to their machines.

- Paul