[kwlug-disc] interesting piece on the power of open source

Lori Paniak ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com
Tue Dec 1 16:03:31 EST 2009

I think hardware support is a red-herring.  It used to be the Linux
excuse for why we don't do well on the desktop.  I don't think hardware
support is appreciably worse in Linux 2.6.31 today than it is for
Windows 7.

And yet, only 1% of desktop users are running a Linux desktop.  And the
System76 people probably barely scratch out a corporate existence.

It must be something else.

I agree getting solid OEM support is important, but only to keep people
from having to futz with iso images to get the Linux they want.