[kwlug-disc] Nokia smartphone with APT!

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Sun Aug 23 23:30:17 EDT 2009

On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 10:20 PM, L.D. Paniak
<ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com>wrote:

> unsolicited wrote:
> >
> > As has been said before, Palm is dead. Thus threads like these are of
> > great interest for me - I know I have to choose a different platform
> > at some point. I'm not looking forward to it.
> >

> How about the "soon-to-arrive in Canada" Pre from ... Palm?
>
> I've seen a few examples of getting to a command line in the onboard
> WebOS - even running openVPN on the device.  Some detail here:
>
> http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Main_Page
>
> Package management looks like a variant of that used for OpenWRT on
> routers.
>
> The official dev page:
>
> http://developer.palm.com/index.php
>

> I saw VMs somewhere else, can't find them now. OK found them:
>
> http://developer.palm.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1585
>

> There's even an O'Reilly book on Pre application development.

I was a past Palm fan. Used it for many years as a PDA, then they dropped
the ball
and faded into obscurity.

This phone may be a comeback for them, but can also be a one hit wonder, if
that ...
Android and Nokia have a better shot of continuity (IMO).

The Pre seems to have some good features, but there is a serious turn off
here regarding privacy

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/09/08/12/1616243/Palm-Pre-Reports-Your-Location-and-Usage-To-Palm
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin