[kwlug-disc] Nokia smartphone with APT!

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Sun Aug 23 18:01:05 EDT 2009

Khalid Baheyeldin wrote, On 08/23/2009 4:08 PM:
> On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 3:52 PM, unsolicited FWIW, if you're not
> hung up on carriers, or data ... Rogers Pay As You Go with a $100
> card will last a year. Coming out to $8.33/month. Assuming data you
> do happens via local bluetooth/wi-fi link rather than over the
> carrier. No contract. And, being GSM, you should be able to use
> whatever phone you choose, purchased elsewhere.
>
> There's a $0.01/minutes plan > 8:00 PM & weekends.

Oh, and ... sending SMS has always been chargeable, currently $0.15
each. Recently, incoming is now being charged for too.

	And there's a $0.50/month 911 fee. No contract.

> That is exactly what I have. And that is exactly what I do. It is
> the most economical. Also any unused balance will get carried
> indefinitely if you renew before it expires with $100.
>
> The downside is that if you use a smartphone and use the "full
> internet" (e.g. Opera browser), they charge exorbitant rates. Make
> sure you configure the WAP proxies correctly to avoid that. I have
> had so so success with them (web would work, but Google's Gmail
> application will not or vice versa).

I have a Palm Treo 680, i.e. no wi-fi, but bluetooth. I think I got bt
to go out via local computer at one point, but what I've really
noticed is that I don't access the web via the Treo. No real point. It
ends up being used as a phone and a reference (Agendus), no e-mail -
and life is good. It would probably be different if it had GSM.

As has been said before, Palm is dead. Thus threads like these are of
great interest for me - I know I have to choose a different platform
at some point. I'm not looking forward to it.

	At that recent seminar opposite UofW, Richard and Bob convinced me
that Android = open software / closed hardware, Symbian = open both.
Thus I've poked about regarding Symbian, especially with this thread.
Can't seem to get a clear page regarding the PIM, or sync'ing. Lots of
hints, only.

Khalid, what are you using, currently?

Going forward, my most important concern will be a PIM that sync's
well with korganizer. I'll never buy another phone without a qwerty
keypad (having had a LifeDrive), and, I've recently figured out not
having a touchscreen seems silly.

Thus I'm very interested in this thread.