[kwlug-disc] meaningful display resolutions for netbooks?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Thu Aug 20 09:26:54 EDT 2009

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009, Paul Gallaway wrote:

> >  am i making any sense or did i misread that point?
>
> Nope, perfectly clear. Perhaps I misinterpreted your first question,
> gave too much irrelevant information, or more likely I'm probably
> just not making myself clear :) Anyway, I think we're probably on
> the same side with this.
>
> My point was (or was suppose to be, anyway) that 1366x768 would be
> better than 1280x720 for a netbook because: A) a netbook probably
> doesn't have the power to play 720p anyway (or 1080i or 1080p), and
> B) you gain desktop real estate.

  right.  more pixels are always better, *unless* there's a compelling
reason to try to match some (lower-res) standard.  and given that most
netbooks are currently 1024x{576,600}, it would at least be *some*
improvement to go to 1280x720, which again corresponds to an actual
video standard.

> A VDPAU enabled netbook (read Nvidia ION) will be able to play back
> all HD video formats and should be able to scale/deinterlace said
> video to 1366x768 at a surprisingly good quality. Eventually the
> resolution on smaller panels will achieve 1920x1080 and future
> netbooks will have power enough to display HD video natively.

  a 1920x1080 netbook?  :-)

rday