[kwlug-disc] sarge -> etch: /etc/aliases.db issue

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Mon Aug 17 10:34:49 EDT 2009

Quoting "L.D. Paniak" <ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com>:

> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>> Quoting Eric Gerlach <eric+kwlug at gerlach.ca>:
>>

>>   i don't think the problem is that the file is called
>> /etc/aliases.cdb.  in fact, there is explicit support for CDB-format
>> aliases files in this version of postfix (2.3.8-2+etch1).  i think the
>> problem is just *telling* postfix to use a .cdb file, rather than just
>> .db.  and qmail is not installed.
>>

> Maybe look for "aliases" in postfix/main.cf, adjust as necessary and
> restart postfix.

   found the problem (or least one of them).  "newaliases" will
(AFAICT) always create a .cdb format file, while postfix is looking
specifically for a .db file.  so i had to use "postalias
hash:/etc/aliases" to get my aliases.db file, which solved *that*
problem.  still curious as to how to get postfix to consult the .cdb
file, if that's what i wanted.

rday