[kwlug-disc] Open Source intro handout

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Thu Apr 30 00:09:38 EDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 08:29:23PM -0700, Raul Suarez wrote:
> > Free Software are just a bit too nebulous for the new,
> > non-programming user to understand... especially on the initial sales
> > pitch.? This is something to wow them with later, after they've used
> > the system for a while.
>
> Here is where I disagree. On the trade off Freedom is one of the main
> values on the FLOSS side. If they understand Freedom initially they'll
> be more lenient (fair?) with the trade off.

I agree that Freedom is a very important value that should be explained
to new users, but I think Paul started off on the right track when he said:

	Open source software is freely given; you can use it without
	feeling slimy or dishonest.

That sentence alone shows the target audience, and targets the automatic
fear that the new user will have that this "free software" might be
under the table.

Someone who doesn't know what source code is will need more help and more
time to fully understand what Free Software means, in my opinion.

- Chris