[kwlug-disc] Open Source intro handout

L.D. Paniak ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com
Wed Apr 29 11:50:38 EDT 2009

Great idea Paul!

Given the challenging business environment these days, I wonder if there
would be an audience for something like "Doing Business with Less Money"
where the advantages of the Open Source office are very compelling.

For the current draft, I think you are a little pessimistic about a
couple of aspects of current FLOSS:

1) Support is hard to find.  How do Windows people get support?  Call
Dell/Microsoft?  Stay on hold for hours?  I think most knowledgeable
Windows users get primary support from Google - same as ubuntu users.
If anything, I think quick FLOSS support is as easy to find as
proprietary support and a lot less expensive.

2) Hardware support is spotty.  I do not think this is a real concern
with up-to-date mainline distributions like ubuntu.  At least not any
more of an issue than with current versions of Microsoft operating
systems.  If the hardware is more than a year old, it is almost
certainly supported out of the box in the latest kernel - even wireless.
 The only counterexamples I can think of are dirt-cheap printers which
are completely driven by their Windows drivers and some (&^#*#@!)
Realtek network interfaces on very specialized motherboards.

I think Open Source support for everyday computing system hardware has
made great strides in recent years and we do not need to be apologetic
and self-conscious any longer when recommending a FLOSS OS to others for
mail-web-personal word processing.

There are still real issues with other applications though, which you
have addressed.