[kwlug-disc] Tape Library and/or SCSI issue

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Wed Dec 31 12:22:52 EST 2008

On Wed, 2008-12-31 at 11:50 -0500, john at netdirect.ca wrote:
> It's been a long time since I've struggled with SCSI issues. I don't
> recall making significant SCSI BIOS changes in years. Now-a-days it
> just works.

It is an older card, yes.

> I'm getting the feeling you're connecting an old SCSI device to a
> newer SCSI card. You mentioned the old device is narrow and the host
> adapter wide.

I'm not sure of the age on either. But yes, narrow device to wide
adapter.

> SCSI buses require electrical termination in order to have good signal
> flow.
> (...)
> In short check your termination. I have lots of SCSI bits like
> terminators, adapters and cables lying around that you're welcome to
> send me a photo of your needs. I'd rather they go to use than throw
> them away.

I have a HD68 "LVD" terminator on the unit. I checked the card BIOS and
'Termination' was set to Automatic. I changed it to enabled just to be
sure, but it made no difference.

I'm starting to think about borrowing the extra SCSI card from work for
a day or two to see if this is an aic7xxx issue. As a plus, that card is
what this drive was previously connected to.

--
Chris Irwin <chris at chrisirwin.ca>