[kwlug-disc] Continued: OpenSource Me!]

Insurance Squared Inc. gcooke at insurancesquared.com
Mon Dec 22 10:07:02 EST 2008

Continuing on the vein of starting a new OSS software project, I'd
appreciate some input and advice on the following hurdles.

My personal need is for the database to run on a local linux server and
access it via browser.  Super easy, I create the specs and our developer
whips it up in php/mysql.  If I want to make it more modular, I seperate
the database functions so it allows other databases.  This would also
work well for those that have some number of employees and the ability
to run a local linux server.  It doesn't work well for independent folks
running MS on their desktops.  That segment of the market is actually
far larger than the users that have my profile.  I'm questioning the
tradeoff between looking after these folks and the additional work and
costs (remember, I'm paying for developer time, at market rates).

It seems that if I'm going to allow easy cross platform useage and a
non-browser based interface (i.e. both a linux based system accessed via
browser and a local desktop windows app) then I've got quite a few
hurdles to overcome.  Specifically:
- I think I have to go with some C variant instead of php.  More costs,
and more effort.  We're not a C shop.
- Screen/output have to be *really* modular.  HTML output with smarty
templates, easy.  Abilitiy for one set of code to run smarty templates
and whatever it is that windows uses, way more complex.  I guess I even
have to start thinking about print functions.
- same thing with the database.  It's one thing to have a linux/php
system access a couple different common linux databases.  It seems like
a whole other level of complexity to use mysql as a database and I don't
know what on windows.

And I don't expect this to be a typical OSS project, even if
successful.  Given my non-tech marketplace, we'll be the only ones
doingin any coding.  So hoping for someone else to port isn't going to
happen.

Are these hurdles easy to overcome? Should I just do a linux system and
worry about MS later?