[kwlug-announce] Meeting Monday: Laptop Installation, Kubernetes (March 2018)

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Sat Mar 3 12:22:16 EST 2018

This month we are initiating something different at KWLUG. There has
been a longstanding tension between more technical talks suitable for
advanced users, and more newbie-friendly fare, and often our
presentations have leaned on the technical side. Recently some people on
the kwlug-disc mailing list became enthusiastic about offering more
beginner-friendly fare. So starting this month many meetings will
consist of two presentations: one that is more beginner-friendly, and
one that is more technical.

On the beginner-friendly side, Jim Kelsh will demonstrate how to
install Linux on a laptop. His presentation will involve some live
demos, but he promises that we will not be staring in silence at an
installation screen all session.

On the technical side, Charlie Drage will talk about some of the work
he is doing with Kubernetes, a system for managing containerized
applications at scale. In his day job Charlie works for Red Hat as an
Enterprise Cloud Architect.

In other news, there are rumours that Jon "maddog" Hall will be in
town on March 12 and 13. The Computer Science Club at the University
of Waterloo has invited him to give a talk and a workshop. Hall is a
well-known advocate for free software and open hardware. He has given
talks in town before, and they have been engaging and accessible to
general audiences. I have not seen precise details yet, but keep an
eye on Watcamp, kwlug-disc, or the csc-general mailing list for
further updates.

Maker Expo is happening again this year. It is scheduled for June 2
and 3rd, and they are currently looking for exhibitors. They write:

> Our focus is on interactivity and inclusivity — we want to celebrate
> a wide range of topics and disciplines, including, but certainly not
> limited to:
>
> 3D printing · Agriculture · Arduino · Arts · Computing · Crafts ·
> Electric  Vehicles · Electronics · Engineering · Gardening · How-tos
> & Education ·    Metalworking · Model Aircraft & Flying Machines ·
> Paper Arts · Robotics ·   Science · Sewing & Textiles · Space &
> Near-Space · Student Projects ·       Wearables · Woodworking AND
> MORE! (There is room for all sorts of makers!)

If you are interested in applying, fill out an application at
https://www.makerexpo.ca/application/ .

Our meeting will be held at the usual location:

St John's Kitchen
97 Victoria Street North
(at Weber)
Kitchener

There is parking in the thrift store parking lot, and bike parking
along the side of the building. Find maps and pictures of the location
at https://kwlug.org/sjk

Doors open around 6:30pm. Setup helpers are always welcome and
appreciated.

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org