[kwlug-announce] Meeting Monday: OSSIM, Let's Encrypt (Feb 2017)

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Sun Feb 5 02:22:24 EST 2017

Let's meet! It is February, and nothing says "February" more than a
KWLUG get together. This month we have two interesting techie
presentations, starting around 7pm.

Let's protect! Mark Steffen will discuss the open source intrusion
detection system AlienVault OSSIM, an Security Information and Event
management product suitable for small businesses and "paranoid
individuals". OSSIM handles behavioral monitoring, vulnerability
assessment, intrusion detection, and more.

Let's encrypt! Jeff Voskamp has been running Let's Encrypt on his
websites since the initiative began. He will give us an overview of
what Let's Encrypt is, what it does, and some of his experiences
working with it.

Let's rescue! The next date for our Laptop Rescue Mission will
tentatively be Saturday, February 18 starting at 4pm. You do not need
to be a Linux wizard to participate, but Linux wizards are welcome.
People from many backgrounds and skill levels have helped out in the
past and enjoyed refurbishing laptops with Xubuntu. You can
participate too! Contact me offlist to RSVP.

Let's migrate! The KWLUG website and mailing lists will be switching
hosts soon -- probably either this month or next. Our hope is that
the transition will be smooth, but please forgive us any hiccups. If
you are having problems with the KWLUG website or mailing lists once
we have transitioned, please let me know by email.

Let's bridge the digital divide! The fine folks at Hive Waterloo
Region wanted to let you know about a few different initiatives coming
up. Firstly, they are offering a large number of workshops over the
next few months, which you can learn about at https://hivewr.ca/events
. Secondly, they are running a membership drive until February 28.
Membership is not free (it costs $25 annually for individuals) but you
might want to consider it for you or your organization:
https://hivewr.ca/membership . Finally, they asked us to help
publicize their "Change the Ratio" event to be held on Wednesday,
March 8 at the KPL. They made it clear that although this event is
being held on International Women's Day, they welcome everyone
and they hope lots of men, women and people of other gender
expressions attend. The event is free of charge, and you
can register at: http://hivewr.ca/events/change-ratio-waterloo-region/ .

Let's conclude! The meeting will be held at the usual meeting
location:

St John's Kitchen
97 Victoria Street N
(at Weber)
Kitchener

You can park in the thrift store parking lot. Find pictures and maps
at http://kwlug.org/sjk . Doors open at 6:30pm and we are always
pathetically grateful to have setup helpers.

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org