[kwlug-announce] Meeting Monday: Presentation Smorgasboard (August 2016)

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Fri Aug 5 18:55:48 EDT 2016

Apparently August is the Picnic Month, and true to form this month's
KWLUG meeting will consist of a potluck of small presentations:

- John Kerr will show us how he creates educational Linux screencasts
- Bob Bosiljevac will show us how he uses ZBackup for effective backups
- Andrew Cant will discuss the static Indyweb
- Bob Jonkman will lead a formal keysigning
- Tim Laurence will show us how to diagnose resource bottlenecks on
  servers
- Paul Nijjar will introduce VLANs

If you would like to participate in the keysigning, create a GPG key
and follow the instructions here:
http://sobac.com/wiki/index.php/KWLUG_Keysigning_2016-08-08

In other news, Maker Expo is coming up fast: it will be held Saturday,
Sept 10 at Kitchener City Hall. Last year's event was pretty fun, and
featured robots beating each other up for our amusement, which I am
sure our future robotic overlords are noting in their records for when
the revolution comes. In any case, Maker Expo is looking for
volunteers to make this year's event a success, and you can join in by
visiting http://www.makerexpo.ca/volunteer/ .

Open Streets has been running in Uptown Waterloo this summer, and
friend of free culture Stephen Paul Weber has been staffing a table
full of Free Culture goodies. If you would like to help him out, you
can contact him at singpolyma.ca (or you could pay him a visit during
the next Open Streets, which is scheduled for August 21).

Our August meeting will be held at the usual location:

St John's Kitchen
97 Victoria Street North
(at Weber)
Kitchener

There is car parking at the thrift store parking lot, and bike parking
along the side of the building. Find maps and pictures of the location
here: http://kwlug.org/sjk . Show up around 6:30pm if you would like
to help with setup (certain announcement writers would be very
grateful if you wanted to help with setup).

- Paul

--
Electoral reform committee is happening! Submissions due Oct 7!
See http://fairvotewrc.ca for local events.