[kwlug-announce] Meeting Monday: Docker Workshop (7pm, April 2016)

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Fri Apr 1 18:20:50 EDT 2016

Last February, Tim Laurence gave us an overview of the popular Docker containerization platform. By popular demand, this month he will follow up on that presentation with an interactive workshop. We will work through basic Docker commands, setting up dockerfiles, dealing with networking and more.

Because this workshop is interactive, Tim has homework for us. Those of us who are following along should bring our laptops preconfigured with Virtualbox and Docker according to Tim's instructions here:

https://github.com/timdaman/docker-tutorial

Ominously, Tim writes: "Tell people to be prepared or else. ;)" which I am hoping is code for "Tim won't wait for people to get set up at the beginning of the presentation."

If you would like to participate in the workshop but do not have a suitable laptop, contact me (or the kwlug-disc mailing list) and we can see what we can do. Maybe people can work together and maybe we can prepare a couple of laptops with the appropriate software installed on them.

Speaking of laptops: the next Laptop Rescue Mission is scheduled for Saturday, April 16 from 4-8pm. You can RSVP to me if you are interested in participating. Past events have been well-received, but it looks like this may be our last Rescue Mission for a while; we are running out of servicable laptops with power adapters. (If anybody has a secret stash of Dell PA-10/PA-12 power adapters they would be willing to donate to the cause, they would be greatly appreciated.) As usual, you do not need to be a Linux genius to participate, and these events have been good alternatives to our sometimes highly technical meetings.

Ubuntu 16.04 LTS is scheduled to be released this month, and there are rumours of a release party. The rumours indicate that the most likely date would be Saturday, April 23. If you would like to contribute to these rumours you can vote here:
https://framadate.org/TZOPec2w2fYOyS7b

and if you would like to help organize the event you can contact Bob Jonkman (go to http://sobac.com for his contact information).

That's all I have, other than our meeting location:

St John's Kitchen
97 Victoria Street North
(at Weber)
Kitchener