[kwlug-announce] Meeting Monday (NOTE LOCATION CHANGE): Ansible, Puppet

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Fri Nov 28 18:25:14 EST 2014

Important: our usual meeting location is under renovations next week,
so we are moving the meeting. Monday's meeting will be held at

The Working Centre
58 Queen Street South
Kitchener
(on Queen between King and Charles)

If you go to the regular location then you will be sad, and that will
make the rest of us sad as well. So please go to the right location!
There is more location information here: http://kwlug.org/node/634

I really hope that people are able to find 58 Queen, because this
month's meeting is all about configuration management systems, and if
there is one thing that IT people like it's TOTAL CONTROL, which is
what these systems offer. (On the other hand, it makes it more
difficult to make ad-hoc changes to servers, which is kind of the
point?) Joe Wennechuk will tell us about Ansible, which is the new
hotness. Tim Laurence will tell us about Puppet, which is the old
hotness, but is still fairly warm. This part of the meeting will start
at 7pm or so, after meeting announcements.

In addition to the presentations Hubert Chathi is organizing an
informal keysigning. If you are a GPGer and would like to swap keys
and build your web of trust, bring along the appropriate materials
(fingerprints, your identity, etc.) Some guidance for key signing
parties can be found here:
http://sobac.com/wiki/index.php/Guidelines_for_Key_Signing_Parties

In other news, some of us are refurbishing old laptops for sale at
Computer Recycling (with Linux on them, of course). Our next
laptop-fixing day is scheduled for the afternoon of Saturday, December
8. If you want to participate then get in touch with me.

I want to get this meeting message out ASAP, so that's all for now.

As mentioned above, the meeting will be held at an UNUSUAL location:

The Working Centre
58 Queen Street South
Kitchener
(on Queen between King and Charles)

Parking will likely be an issue. There is a bit of free parking along
side streets, and a relatively cheap pay lot off of Ontario street
between Charles and King. There is bike parking beside the CIBC
building on Queen street.

Doors will open somewhere between 6:30pm and 6:45pm. There will be
some need for setup help, but probably not as much as usual.
Nonetheless helpers are welcome.

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org