[kwlug-announce] Meeting Monday: High Availability KVM clusters

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Sat Jan 4 20:09:31 EST 2014

Hello, new year. Let's start off 2014 by making some clouds. We won't
call them "clouds", of course. That would be uncouth and possibly
inaccurate. Instead we can call them high-availability clusters for
virtual machines -- specifically, clusters using DRBD replicated
storage and KVM as the hypervisor, which sounds completely different
than clouds. In this presentation, Madison Kelly will walk us through
high-availability clustering, live-migration, fault-tolerance, and
failure recovery.

In addition to clouds there will be props: 200lbs of cluster hardware,
that somehow we will get upstairs to the presentation area. I for one
thought clouds were light and fluffy, but maybe I have been
proven wrong once again. We'll find out this Monday, starting at 7pm.

In other news, there are presentation spots available from March
onward. If you have a topic you would like to share with the group
(with or without 200lbs of server hardware to accompany it) then
please get in touch.

This month's meeting will be held at the usual location:

St John's Kitchen
97 Victoria Street North
(at the corner of Victoria and Weber)
Kitchener

There is free car parking in the Worth A Second Look parking lot, and
free bike parking alongside the building. (Maybe it should surprise no
one that there is an overlap between people foolhardy enough to ride
bicycles in January and people who use free software?) You can find
photos and maps of the location here: http://kwlug.org/sjk

The meeting starts at 7pm, and doors will open at 6:20pm or so, if the
meeting host gets his act together. Setup volunteers (especially setup
volunteers with strong backs) would be particularly welcome this
month.

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org