[kwlug-announce] Meeting Monday: TOR

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Sat Jul 6 14:37:37 EDT 2013

Surprise! Another government surveillance revelation has hit the news.
We have further confirmation that the companies to which we entrust
our email and social networks are perfectly willing to let the US
government snoop as well. Or maybe this is no surprise, because
privacy is -- if not dead -- in hospice care and we should all
rejoice. Only those who are doing something wrong have anything to
hide, right?

Not everybody has gotten the memo. There are still those who believe
in privacy online, and some of those people are working to build
internet infrastructure that is secure by default. One such project is
TOR, aka "The Onion Router". This project attempts to anonymize
network communications, so that servers are unable to identify the
identities of clients that access them. In this month's KWLUG
presentation, Steve Palmateer will tell us about the TOR
project, focusing on the technical aspects of the project, and
demonstrating how to set up a TOR relay from start to finish.

Our usual MC Andrew will be away on Monday, so we are looking for
somebody to make KWLUG announcements and introduce the speaker at the
beginning of our meeting. If you would be willing to do this please
let me know.

We are always on the lookout for presentations. In particular, we
could use some beginner-friendly tutorials and presentations to
alternate with the more technical ones. There are currently slots open
for August, November, December and next year. If you are interested
you can contact me or -- better yet -- make your pitch on the
kwlug-disc list.

And that's all I got, except for the meeting logistics. This meeting
will be held at the usual location:

St John's Kitchen
97 Victoria Street North
(at the corner of Weber and Victoria)
Kitchener

The meeting starts at 7pm. Doors open at around 6:30pm, and setup
helpers are greatly appreciated.

You can park your motorcar in the Worth a Second Look parking lot, and
park your safety bicycle along the side of the building.

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org