[kwlug-announce] Meeting Monday: Porting bootloaders, Linux for the In-Laws

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Sat Mar 2 22:03:01 EST 2013

For nearly fifteen years now we have been hearing all about how this
year was going to be the year of the Linux Desktop: how Linux was
going to be so ubiquitous and user-friendly that even your parents
would be able to use it. Whether we are there yet or not, Gordon Dey
has not waited for the Linux Desktop to become trendy. He has set up
both his in-laws and his church on wholly Linux environments, and in
his presentation he will share the challenges and successes of his
endeavours. This presentation will likely be beginner-friendly.

Regardless of the Linux Desktop, the year of the Linux Embedded
Computer has been with us for a while now. Two months ago we heard a
successful presentation about the Raspberry Pi, but that is hardly the
end of the story.  This month Fadil Berisha will discuss a different
embedded system: the iMX233-OLinuXino.  In particular, Fadil has
ported the Barebox bootloader to this system, and he will discuss this
porting experience, with aim of tutoring others in porting bootloaders
to other boards. This presentation will likely be less
beginner-friendly, but may be of great interest to those fans of
system-board computing.

In other events, Albert O'Connor is organizing an Ontario-wide Open
Data conference on Saturday, May 11. They are accepting speakers until
March 4, so if you have a talk of interest to the open data community,
submit it soon. You can also register for the conference: early bird
registration is $25. See http://go-opendata.ca/ for more information.

We are once again on the lookout for presentations. If you have a
topic that might be of interest to Linux and free software
enthusiasts, please send me an email. We have spots available as early
as the May presentation. (And if you have previously offered a
presentation that I spaced out on, please prod me.)

Speaking of prodding, here is our meeting location:

St John's Kitchen
97 Victoria Street North
(at the corner of Victoria and Weber)
Kitchener

There are maps and photos of the location on our website,
http://kwlug.org . There is car parking available in the Worth A
Second Look parking lot.
--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org