[kwlug-announce] Meeting Monday: SelSourced Software, Raspberry Pi

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Sat Jan 5 00:41:47 EST 2013

Oh January! You promise a fresh start, a clean slate, an opportunity
to reflect on the mistakes of years past and make some new ones.
Here in the plush offices of KWLUG World Headquarters, we are not
immune to January's call. Our focus groups and market research have
revealed a problem newer and less experienced meeting attendees run
into: people attend one or two meetings, find that the technical
content of presentations are way above their heads, and feel
intimidated about attending future meetings. Appealing to newer and
less experienced Linux users is definitely part of KWLUG's corporate
vision, so beginning this year we are attempting to offer a wider
variety of presentations, and to clearly label those presentations we
expect will be more beginner-friendly (which is not to say they will
be expert-unfriendly, or that highly-technical topics are disappearing
from the meeting schedule entirely).

This month marks our first attempt at this experiment. David Lloyd
Carr will kick things off by talking about "SelfSourced software"
-- computer programs you write to "scratch your own itch". The
idea of a beginner-friendly presentation on the topic of computer
program might sound pretty crazy, but David promises to keep the
content accessible to a general audience.

Our second presentation of the evening will feature a topic super-hot
amongs the makers and nerd set: the Raspberry Pi, a
low-cost, tiny, general purpose computer on a circuit board. John
Eddie Kerr bought one of these devices recently, and he will relate
his adventures in exploring its functionality. Any discussion of the
Raspberry Pi carries the risk of launching itself into the
ubertechnical stratosphere, but maybe it helps that John is a
librarian and not an engineer?

As usual, our meetings will start at 7pm (but we start setting up the
room around 6:30pm, and always appreciate additional help.)

We are always looking for presentation offers, so if you have a topic
you would like to present then please get in touch by emailing me
offlist. It would definitely be nice to slot in some more
beginner-friendly presentations, but presentations on more technical
topics are also welcome.

Our meeting will be held at the usual place:

St John's Kitchen
97 Victoria Street North
(at the corner of Weber and Victoria)
Kitchener

There are maps and photos of the site at http://kwlug.org . You can
park your car in the Worth a Second Look parking lot, or -- if your
New Year's Resolution is to jeopardize your life on icy January roads
-- chain your bicycle along the side of the building.

- Paul

--
"Robocalls: The Story So Far" - Wed Jan 16, 7pm, Duke of Wellington Pub,
33 Erb St W, Waterloo, http://www.fairvote.ca/en/WaterlooRegion