[kwlug-announce] Meeting Monday: Security

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Sat Sep 10 07:09:52 EDT 2011

Canadian Thanksgiving is not until next month, but as far as I am
concerned this is the peak of harvest season. In the fields and in the
markets you will find ground cherries and tomatoes, eggplants and
peppers and the last of the peaches. In the classrooms you will find
new crops of students who have not yet had their enthusiasm crushed
out of them. And in our community you will find a cornucopia of
interesting computer events and meetings going on.

There is of course our KWLUG meeting this Monday at 7pm, which is all
about computer security (in particular cryptography). Tim Laurence is
an engaging speaker who makes text-based slides come to life, and his
explanation of security principles is sure to be theatrical.

If that is not enough security for you, on Tuesday the 13th Fernando
Duran is helping organize the second quarterly Kitchener-Waterloo
Security Unconference: http://www.watsec.com/unconference . It will
begin at 6pm at the Accelerator Centre in Waterloo.

Today (Saturday the 10th) the Kwartzlab people are holding a
"Kwartzlab Junkyard" event from 1pm-7pm. See
http://www.kwartzlab.ca/2011/09/kwartzlab-junkyard-tomorrow-check-out-our-junk/
for a sampling of their wares.

In an unusual development, the KWLUG meeting (on the first non-holiday
Monday of the month) and the Drupal User Group (on the third Thursday)
are happening the same week. This Thursday three members of the
University of Waterloo Drupal team will discuss their gigantic project
to move the university's webspace to drupal. See
http://groups.drupal.org/waterloo-region for details.

Then there is Software Freedom Day, which is to be held next Saturday
from 10am-4pm. This event will feature talks, demos, and installfest
and CD giveaways. It is geared towards a general audience, so if you
know people who might be interested in Linux and other FLOSS but are not
highly-technical (or if you are interested in free software but have
not really gotten into it much) then please invite them along. This
will be held at the Working Centre's Queen Street buildings from
10am-4pm, and you can get more info here:
http://www.theworkingcentre.org/sfd

Also of interest to non-experts is an initiative to organize
a "Linux and Free Software Literacy" course through the KW FreeSkool.
(Disclaimer! I am involved with this.) A tentative course outline is
here:

http://kwfreeskool.wordpress.com/linux-and-free-software-literacy/

If you or somebody you know would be interested in
participating, please contact kwfreeskool at gmail.com .

Here is a teaser for our October meeting: it will be a social
event, but it will be a pretty special one -- KWLUG is approximately
10 years old, and we will be celebrating our 10th anniversary. That
meeting will be October 3.

I guess I should also tell you about our FLOSS Fund nominee. It is a
little program called Inkscape -- a vector program that is great for
designing posters, logos, and other SVG art. You can donate to
Inkscape at the meeting, or you can contact me and we will figure out
how you can contribute to the donation.

As usual, our meeting will be held at

St John's Kitchen
97 Victoria St North
(Corner of Victoria and Weber)
Kitchener

There are maps and photos of the location on our website:
http://www.kwlug.org . Although transit access is not fantastic, 97
Victoria is a fairly short walk from King Street. There is car parking
at the Worth a Second Look parking lot, and bike parking along the
side of the building.

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org