[kwlug-announce] Meeting Monday: Ubuntu Community Canada, FreeSWITCH/FusionPBX, apt-dater

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Sat Jul 2 02:04:08 EDT 2011

In some alternative universe, we would not be having our KWLUG meeting
this money. The Americans would have won the War of 1812 and we would
be celebrating our independence on Monday. USA! USA!

Alas, the Americans did not take Upper Canada, so to ease the
disappointment you can come to July's meeting and enjoy three
snack-sized presentations:

- Defender of the Crown Darcy Casselman will tell us about Ubuntu
  Community Canada, an initiative to bring together Canadian Ubuntu
  users.

- Superpatriot Kiwi Ssenyonjo will follow up his interesting
  presentation about the FreeSWITCH open-source PBX with some recent
  developments in FreeSWITCH and its graphical frontend FusionPBX.

- Villainous traitor Paul Nijjar will show you how to keep multiple
  Linux systems up to date efficiently using apt-proxy-ng, apt-dater
  and apticron: a set of tools probably written in Europe or
  something.

The presentation hijinks ensue at 7pm, as usual.

Our FLOSS Fund nominee this month is HeliOS, a community project in
Austin Texas which rebuilds computers, installs Ubuntu on them and
redistributes them to local youth. The project lead has been devoting
a lot of hours to the project, but his family is facing a health
crisis now, and this month's nomination attempts to thank him in a
financial way for what he has given to the community. You can learn
more about the HeliOS project here:
http://heliosinitiative.org/index.html
and read the blog post that inspired this nomination here:
http://linuxlock.blogspot.com/2011/06/when-minor-and-devestating-are-used-in.html

In related news, our FLOSS Fund queue is empty! If you have a project
that is doing good work, please nominate it by posting the nomination
to the kwlug-disc mailing list, e-mailing it to me, or making the
nomination on our website.

A tutorial video by KWLUG member John Kerr made the popular website
OMG Ubuntu this week. You can see the posting here:
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/06/launch-more-than-one-instance-of-a-program-in-ubuntu-on-another-workspace/

And that's it, except for letting you know where you can find the
meeting:

St John's Kitchen
97 Victoria St N
Kitchener
(at the corner of Weber and Victoria)

There are maps and directions on the KWLUG website, plenty of bike
parking on the side of the building, and a few spots of car parking in
the Worth a Second Look parking lot.

- Paul
--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org