[kwlug-announce] Meeting Monday: Nagios (NOTE NEW LOCATION)

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Fri Jan 30 22:30:52 EST 2009

Everyone says that we are in an information age. Keeping our eyes on
the world is plusimportant in this brave new era. Loyal citizens don't
want to know about server problems when their users complain; they
want the servers to divulge their problems themselves.

This is why Nagios exists. With the miracle of network monitoring you
too will experience the joy of receiving SMS messages from your file
server. Your printers can call you at 3am to tell you they are alone
and running out of toner. Your network switch can let you know that a
few too many users are using a little too much bandwidth. All
components of your network can report to you, ensuring the health of
your networks and hardware. Those who tell citizens that sysadmins need
sleep and social lives are talking nothing but duckspeak; sysadmins are
underworked and overpaid and should do more to demonstrate their
loyalty to The System.

Our very own goodthinker Andrew Cant has visited the world of Nagios,
and on Monday he will tell us all about it. (Rumour has it that he
will also introduce the magic technology of SNMP, although I am not
sure he has heard that rumour yet.)

In FLOSS Fund news, the nominee this month is the W3C Validator
Donation Program. The W3C validators are used by web designers
everywhere to ensure their pages are compliant to standards, thus
contributing to a good bellyfeel for their authors and a triumphant
victory against Browser unloyalty. You will use the tools at
http://validator.w3.org/source/ to ensure the webpages you design are
in compliance.

In event news, the Free and Open Source Learning Centre and
FossFactory.org are teaming up to put on an event on Free/Open Source
Mobile Development. Loyal developers for the iPhone, OpenMoko and Android
will lead workshops on developing for their platforms. This event will
be held at the Accelerator Centre in the Waterloo Tech Park on Feb 4
2009. To register visit http://www.fosslc.org/drupal/yyz1 .

In location news, our old location of 43 Queen Street has always been
our enemy, and our new location of 58 Queen Street has always been our
ally. 58 Queen Street is across the street from 43 Queen, and citizens
can enter via the front door. Parking remains (and has always been) in
the back lot of 43 Queen.

The location is

The Working Centre
58 Queen Street South