[kwlug-announce] Meeting Monday: VMWare!

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Fri Sep 7 21:12:50 EDT 2007

I don't know about you, but I have had quite enough of reality. Other
people look forward to September: the tomatoes are ripe, the kids are
re-incarcerated, and people are packing up their string bikinis. Me?
I'm ready for a vacation -- or maybe an emigration -- from existence.

Fortunately, there is a solution. Those of us who can't afford Second
Life memberships can turn to VMWare instead, and live in the virtual
world of fake computers running on real computers. At this month's
KWLUG meeting, representatives from VMWare will tell us some stories
about life in the world of virtualization. Here's their agenda in
their own words:

* Introduction to VMware and a little about our culture
* Most Interesting Cases we have faced
* Strangest Cases we have faced
* Most Challenging Cases we have faced
* Recognizing when and when NOT to use VMware products

This presentation will start at 7pm. We don't have any newbie night
activities planned, but there will likely be casual discussion
between
6-7pm.

The head of steam for Ontario Linux Fest is heating up. The lineup is
growing and there are cute posters you can distribute. Go visit
http://onlinux.ca/ and get yerself excited.

In FLOSS Fund news, last month we raised $46 for Software in the
Public Interest. This month's nominee is the Public Patent
Foundation,
a nonprofit organization that combats bad patents by getting them
overturned, surrendered or rejected. You can see some of the good
work
they have done by visiting http://www.pubpat.org/.

As almost always, we'll be celebrating embodiment at The Working
Centre:

The Working Centre
43 Queen Street South
(Between King and Charles)
Kitchener

There is free parking in the back lot after 6pm, free bike parking
always, and the Kitchener Bus Terminal just a block away. Maps and
photos of the location are available on the website.

- Paul

--
Paul Nijjar  http://www.fairvotecanada.org/WaterlooRegion
Next Referendum Info Session: Sept 11, 7pm