[kwlug-help] Help with AMD-ATI graphics problem on Ubuntu 12.04

Andrew Mercer andrew at andrewmercer.net
Fri Apr 12 11:51:12 EDT 2013

I'm not running Ubuntu anymore, but have you tried going to "Restricted
Drivers" to see if there is a restricted driver available?  You could
also try installing amdccle which is an administrative application for
ATI video drivers.

You can get the correct version of the video card using one or a
combination of the following commands:

lshw -C video

These packages may also help:

xorg-x11-drv-catalyst-libs xorg-x11-drv-catalyst
xorg-x11-drv-catalyst-devel

On 2013-04-12 11:45, nadeem lawji wrote:
> Thanks Robert and Paul.
>  I've got video going now, but no sound.  I will continue to play
> with these ideas this weekend.  Will keep you posted on my progress.
>  Thanks much for your help.
> nadeem
>
> On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 6:04 AM, Robert Campbell <raibert at gto.net>
> wrote:

>>> That post says: "If you do not own a AMD hybrid graphic card,
>>> please
>>> leave this thread, and post your problems in a thread made for AMD
>>> single graphic or Intel single graphic." As far as I can tell you
>>> have
>>> only AMD stuff, since you are using onboard video.
>>>
>>> Based upon the specs for your processor, I suspect that you have a
>>> Radeon HD 7480D graphics card built into the processor. Is that
>>> correct?
>>>
>>> http://shop.amd.com/ca/All/Detail/Processor/AD5300OKHJBOX?SearchFacets=category%3AProcessor
>>> [2]
>>>
>>> I looked at this post:
>>>

>>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=361236&p=12387917#post12387917
>>> [3]
>>>
>>> which says that the suggested solution is to install the
>>> proprietary
>>> Catalyst drivers for Ubuntu 12.10 . But there may be a number of
>>> steps
>>> to do this.
>>>
>>> Do you have any other links that suggest that this is not going to
>>> work?

>>> I think that going with a bleeding edge version of Ubuntu (12.10 or
>>> 13.04) might be a workaround, but I do not know for sure.
>>>
>>> I could potentially help you troubleshoot this if we can arrange a
>>> time to meet and for you to bring your computer down. Send me an
>>> email
>>> off-list. (Other people are welcome to jump in and help you as