[kwlug-help] Help with AMD-ATI graphics problem on Ubuntu 12.04

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Wed Apr 10 14:04:58 EDT 2013

On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 12:39:07PM -0400, nadeem lawji wrote:

> However, I still am a windows trained pc user.  Which means I know nothing
> about command line stuff, or how to fix non-compliant hardware problems
> with an update telling me to hit "update now".  So, when finding
> 'solutions' in the forums and whatnot, I am cut and pasting, but not
> understanding what  fglrx,  xorg, catalyst, vesa, and all these sorts of
> things are.  Recently, I came across a post that says there is no fix for
> the ati 5xxxx graphics cards, which mine appears to be.

That post says: "If you do not own a AMD hybrid graphic card, please
leave this thread, and post your problems in a thread made for AMD
single graphic or Intel single graphic." As far as I can tell you have
only AMD stuff, since you are using onboard video.

Based upon the specs for your processor, I suspect that you have a
Radeon HD 7480D graphics card built into the processor. Is that
correct?
http://shop.amd.com/ca/All/Detail/Processor/AD5300OKHJBOX?SearchFacets=category%3AProcessor

I looked at this post:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=361236&p=12387917#post12387917

which says that the suggested solution is to install the proprietary
Catalyst drivers for Ubuntu 12.10 . But there may be a number of steps
to do this.

Do you have any other links that suggest that this is not going to
work?

> I guess what I'm asking is if anyone knows this problem, and can help me
> fix it - I feel I'm spinning my wheels folowing all these different
> solutions being thrown at me from the forums.  Face time would be great,
> but I'll take email help too.  But another question I have, is if there is
> another version of Linux I could look into until I get this sorted out.
> Having XP in a partition is bugging me, and I'd really prefer to go back to
> ubuntu/linux only.

I think that going with a bleeding edge version of Ubuntu (12.10 or
13.04) might be a workaround, but I do not know for sure.

I could potentially help you troubleshoot this if we can arrange a
time to meet and for you to bring your computer down. Send me an email
off-list. (Other people are welcome to jump in and help you as well.)

> my processor and mb are(no graphics card, it's onboard graphics):
> A4 Series Dual-core A4-5300 3.4GHz Desktop Processor
> GIGABYTE GA-F2A55M-HD2 (rev. 1.0)

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org