[kwlug-help] How can I remove the "Media files" banners in Nautilus?

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Sun May 20 13:25:29 EDT 2012

Whenever I plug my phone into my laptop running Ubuntu 12.04 I get two
dialogue boxes "This drive contains pictures, do you want to open
Shotwell?" and "This drive contains music, do you want to open
Rhythmbox?" Then when I open Nautilus there are two banners across the
top of the file list that read "Open Shotwell Photo Manager; the media
contains digital photos" and "Open Rhythmbox Music Player; these files
are on a digital music player".

I can get rid of the initial dialogue boxes.  But how do I get rid of
the two banners across Nautilus?  There are no "Close" buttons, and I
have found nothing in the menus.  Those banners just take up far too
much vertical screen space, so I want them gone.

--Bob.