[kwlug-help] Linux Literacy Course: Installation problem on AMD V120 notebook with live CD and persistence file on USB

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Sat Oct 22 23:00:42 EDT 2011

On Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 05:07:00AM -0700, Sven Merk wrote:

I'm sorry I did not see you earlier this afternoon. I am just checking
my e-mail now.

> 1)
> Throughout the installation a lot of messages are observed that report "sr0 - input/output error"

Some of these are normal.

> 2) At the end of the installation process the file system could not
> be mounted and the screens remains in the text-based console with
> the last message: "(initramfs) mount: mounting /dev/loop0 on
> /filesystem.squashfs failed: input/output error.  Can not mount
> /dev/loop0 (/cdrom/casper/filesystem.squashfs) on
> //filesystem.squashfs

I agree with Bob that this might be an indication that the CD is bad.
It could also indicate that your CD-ROM is bad -- I was having similar
problems on some of the machines in the lab.

The advice to try booting from USB is good if your machine can do it.

You could also download the ISO and try burning another copy. There
are good instructions and links to the ISO files here:

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download

You want the 10.04 LTS version, not the 11.10 one.

I will be around after 6pm on Monday if you (or others) would like to
meet. Please try to give me 24 hours notice if you want to do this.

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org