[kwlug-help] Linux Literacy Course: Installation problem on AMD V120 notebook with live CD and persistence file on USB

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Sat Oct 22 14:53:48 EDT 2011

On 11-10-22 08:07 AM, Sven Merk wrote:

>1) Throughout the installation a lot of messages are observed that report "sr0 - input/output error"

That could be a bad CD/DVD.  Some installation CDs have an option on the
first menu to check the integrity of the media.  Does your CD pass this
test?  If you've already tried multiple CDs then it could be a bad
CD/DVD drive.

If you're trying to boot the system from a LiveCD and not everything is
read properly, then your second problem is likely a result of the first.

Can your computer boot from a USB drive? If so, try creating a bootable
USB drive from an ISO image and see if you can boot from that.  It's
likely to boot faster than a CD too.  In Ubuntu you can create a
bootable USB drive by selecting from the menu "System, Administration,
Startup Disk Creator".  With Unity just search for "Startup Disk Creator".

--Bob.