[kwlug-help] Linux Literacy Course: Installation problem on AMD V120 notebook with live CD and persistence file on USB

Sven Merk sven.merk at yahoo.ca
Sat Oct 22 08:07:00 EDT 2011

Hello Paul,

I am challenged  with my notebook still not mounting the filesystem after having trouble with one of the live CDs. The second you gave me works and loads but I ran into the same problem that we observed on one notebook in the office the other day:

1)
Throughout the installation a lot of messages are observed that report "sr0 - input/output error"

2)
At the end of the installation process the file system could not be mounted and the screens remains in the text-based console with the last message: "(initramfs) mount: mounting /dev/loop0 on /filesystem.squashfs failed: input/output error.
Can not mount /dev/loop0 (/cdrom/casper/filesystem.squashfs) on //filesystem.squashfs

My notebook is an eMachine eME440 with AMD V120 processor (2.2 GHz), CD/DVD is a TSST model TS-L633C, BIOS is InsydeH20 Rev. 3.5 version 1.02, VGA on board, 256MB, ATI ver. 010.094.001.047.037038, 2 GB Ram altogether - this only as information about my experience so far; I will do some more investigation and testing this weekend.

Sven

Today's Topics:

   1. Dealing with Linux installation problems (Paul Nijjar)

Message: 1