[kwlug-help] Dealing with Linux installation problems

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Wed Oct 19 21:29:29 EDT 2011

For the Linux Literacy course, the big task this week is to get Linux
working on your computer (either with a LiveCD/LiveUSB key or on your
hard drive).

A few of you have Linux preinstalled on your computer. A few more have
gotten Linux working already. For the rest of you, here are some

- If you are stuck with a particular detail (for example, if you are
  getting an error message you can't figure out), you can post to this
  mailing list. Include the specific problem (including the exact
  error message if possible), the method you are using in getting Linux
  working (USB key, LiveCD, installing inside Windows, or installing
  standalone), and information about the make and model of your
  computer.

- If you would like some one on one support, I can make appointments
  Friday evening (after 6pm) and most of the day on Saturday. If you
  would like this then please e-mail me off-list (ie use my e-mail
  address, not this kwlug-help address).

If you have not done so yet, I encourage you to try getting Linux
working on your computer, so that if you run into problems you there
will be enough time to troubleshoot them. I really hope that everybody
will have gotten Linux working and will have used it for a couple of
hours by Tuesday -- developing some basic familiarity will help you a
fair amount when we work on installing and removing programs next
session.

- Paul

P.S. If you have a LiveCD or Live USB key with you, bring it to class
next Tuesday.

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org