[kwlug-help] Openvpn assistance request.

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Fri Aug 19 18:38:27 EDT 2011

Paul, essentially you're saying the control point must be one step
higher than the specific machine. (Network traffic cop level.) [Or
that machine must enable routing, which effects the same thing - and
associated security concerns.]

Would running pfsense in a vm on that machine be practicable? Router
hands off to it, it becomes the local network's gateway / router?

Heck, if there's a spare useless machine around, pfsense could be
loaded on a usb key for experimentation and testing? (Once perfected,
and if possible, take that config and plunk it into the vm?)

Paul Nijjar wrote, On 08/19/2011 6:07 PM:
> On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 05:06:26PM -0400, Chamunks Arkturus wrote:
>> We have covered Open-vpn a couple times brushing the subject but is there
>> any one who can maybe give me a hand in understanding how to get an openvpn
>> server setup at my home lan?

.
.
.
> You probably could set up an OpenVPN server on your Ubuntu box, but I
> could see that getting really awkward really quickly. If the only
> resource you want to access remotely is your Minecraft server then you
> can get away with it (I think) but giving access to your wider network
> will get hard.
.
.
.