[kwlug-help] Openvpn assistance request.

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Fri Aug 19 18:07:41 EDT 2011

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 05:06:26PM -0400, Chamunks Arkturus wrote:
> We have covered Open-vpn a couple times brushing the subject but is there
> any one who can maybe give me a hand in understanding how to get an openvpn
> server setup at my home lan?
>

> I have a ubuntu box already running a minecraft server and was
> hoping that I could possibly run it in that.  I have an nx's
> nomachine server running from here for the occassion I get too lazy
> to commandline myself to death.

In order for the OpenVPN clients to see you they need to be able to
access your public IP address. At the very least this means port
forwarding from your router and giving your public IP a dynamic DNS
alias.

You probably could set up an OpenVPN server on your Ubuntu box, but I
could see that getting really awkward really quickly. If the only
resource you want to access remotely is your Minecraft server then you
can get away with it (I think) but giving access to your wider network
will get hard.

I think a better idea would be to use one of your WRT54GLs as your
main router, and then running OpenVPN off of that. This way, it will
be easy for clients connecting to your OpenVPN to access your entire
LAN.

Once you have a server running then getting clients working via
OpenVPN is not that hard.

At work we use pfSense as our router, which gives us a nice web
interface for administering OpenVPN. But you can make this work with
OpenWRT too (and probably DD-WRT, although I have not looked into
this). It just means commandlining yourself to death.

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org