[kwlug-help] Loss due to a chown and permissions change on .ICEauthority file

Johnny Ferguson hyperflexed at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 11:45:09 EDT 2011

I don't know if it's the case here, but I've found this is also a
symptom of ecryptfs not decrypting your home folder properly on login.
(files mysteriously disappearing, getting tonnes of errors)

When you boot your machine and get to the login screen, hit CTRL+ALT+F2
and log in through the TTY.

run the command:
`ls -al`

If `ls -al` creates too much stuff on the screen, use `ls -al | less`
and you can scroll through it, and hit 'q' to exit.

If you see a file with a really weird name ending in something like
PRIVATE, your home folder isn't being unencrypted. I usually fix that
with a reboot, but I recall it being more painful one time.

If this isn't the problem, then you have something really strange going
on. Paul's rescueuser solution sounds like a good bet.

-John