[kwlug-help] Loss due to a chown and permissions change on .ICEauthority file

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Thu Aug 18 22:33:57 EDT 2011

I can't answer your question specifically, but have you tried running
a LiveCD? (Kubuntu / Ubuntu / whatever you have to hand.)

It would at least let you poke about in a gui you may be more
comfortable with.

With a live cd up, you'll be able to mount your hard drive and poke
all about.

Personally, easiest way for that I find is:
- start a console
- sudo bash -
- mkdir /sda1 (or whatever your disk/partition is)
- mount /dev/sda1 /sda1

At that point you can go back to the gui, and browse all about /sda1 -
  under there it being what you would normally see if you directly
booted your computer.

Hopefully you can repair your gui far enough to boot to an environment
you're comfortable with.

Good luck.