[kwlug-help] How to encrypt home folder after installation?

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Sat Jun 12 19:24:07 EDT 2010

When I installed Ubuntu 10.04 there was an option to encrypt the
/home/<userid> folders.  However, I already had a /home partition, and
did not select this option.

How can I encrypt my home folder after the fact?   With all the nice
integration to the login password, &c.? There are many GiBytes of data
in it.

One online reference I have found for encrypting  home folders was for a
much earlier version of Ubuntu[1].  I don't remember an encyrption
option during installation of those versions, so I'm not sure the
encryption methods are the same, or compatible with future encrypted
installations.

Another reference requires an empty destination folder to be encrypted,
then copying existing data from a backup[2].  I'd like to encrypt in
place, if possible.

Yes, I already use TrueCrypt folders and partitions.  I do not think
these things are the same thing as available-at-login encryption.

--Bob.

[1]https://wiki.ubuntu.com/EncryptedHomeFolder
[2]http://www.linux-mag.com/id/7568/

--
Bob Jonkman<bjonkman at sobac.com>          http://sobac.com/sobac/
Software   ---   Office&  Business Automation   ---   Consulting