[kwlug-disc] Snappy judgements, snappy issues, flat shadows

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Fri May 17 20:45:35 EDT 2024

I am still on Xubuntu (desktop) 22.04 LTS, and Ubuntu
Server 22.04 LTS on all the servers I manage.

So far, I have been successful in uninstalling snapd, after
I uninstall Firefox, and that does it for me. No snap in sight.

Perhaps that works because I don't use Gnome, which
I faintly recall had a dependency on snapd. Or maybe 24.04
LTS changes things around? Don't know.

$ snap
Command 'snap' not found, but can be installed with:
sudo apt install snapd

$ snapd
Command 'snapd' not found, did you mean:
  command 'snap' from deb snapd (2.58+20.04.1)
  command 'snmpd' from deb snmpd (5.8+dfsg-2ubuntu2.9)
  command 'slapd' from deb slapd (2.4.49+dfsg-2ubuntu1.9)
  command 'zsnapd' from deb zsnapd (0.8.11h-1ubuntu2)
Try: sudo apt install <deb name>

For Firefox, I use the Ubuntu Mozilla Team PPA, and install firefox-esr,
so it is a .deb with proper dependency management. The ESR version
is so that I don't get version updates too often.

But for my specific use case, there is no reason to move off Ubuntu,
since all the servers are doing well.