[kwlug-disc] Debian problem

CrankyOldBugger crankyoldbugger at gmail.com
Mon May 6 08:49:56 EDT 2024

So I'm getting a bit tired of the way Ubuntu is leading us down the garden
path with their various requirements, like Snap, etc.

So I thought I'd try Debian.  I made a virtual machine, installed the
latest version "Bookworm", and everything installed fine.

But..  I can log in as myself, but I'm not in the sudoers file, so I can't
elevate to root.  There was no option (that I could see) in the
installation to make myself a sudo group user.

So I tried login as root, and sure enough, root can't login (neither from
the GUI login, or via SSH).  So I'm in a Catch-22, where I can't become
root, I can't login as root, but I need to be root to fix those two
things...

Are there any Debian guys out there who know how to get around this?