[kwlug-disc] UPS recommendations?

CrankyOldBugger crankyoldbugger at gmail.com
Tue Jul 23 11:38:50 EDT 2024

While I'm no expert with picking UPS models, I can say from experience that
you need to be sure of your voltage draw per UPS device.  I had a smaller,
old UPS that I stuck under my desk a while back after I bought a nice big
new one to be my main device.  A few months later I bought one of those
little desktop coffee warmers and plugged it into a desktop power bar.
Turns out that when I turned on the coffee warmer the drain (while warming
up) was daisy chaining its way from one power bar to the next until it got
to the old UPS and set off the alarm.  Now those of you that know me know
that my hearing is pretty much shot, so I never heard the alarm, but all
the women in the house went nuts every time I tried to warm up my coffee.
It took us weeks to figure out where the noise was coming from...

Lesson learned:  the right UPS can save your family's sanity!