[kwlug-disc] Interview with Andres who found XZ backdoor

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Sat Jul 13 23:23:46 EDT 2024

I am only 34 minutes into this interview, but holy cow it is so great.
If you haven't listened to it you really should. Thanks Mikalai for
sharing it.

In contrast, I recently listened to a Planet Money version of this
story that was really disappointing. Nothing they said was factually
incorrect but a lot of it was misleading. Like, yes xz was really
popular, but it's not as if people spend a lot of time thinking about
xz. And why does the Microsoft spokesperson have so much airtime
talking about how Microsoft embraced open source? Gell-Mann Amnesia
effect was strong with this one.

https://www.npr.org/2024/05/17/1197959102/open-source-xz-hack

(Okay, there was one glaring error. The podcast strongly implied that
SSH depends on xz, which to my understanding it doesn't.)

- Paul

--
Events: https://feeds.off-topic.kwlug.org
Housing: https://unionsd.coop